These things are SO good. I don’t think I can make them again and keep them in my house because I find myself walking by the fridge getting a bite, and then a few minutes later… I find myself right back there. And then that happens again, and maybe again. 🙂 Oops.
I found the original recipe and adapted it from one that I found on Popsugar, and from what I’ve found, you can get creative with these and try different nuts, additions and toppings. I also doubled the original recipe so that I’d have some to share and some leftovers. Nobody was mad about that. I’m only mad that I don’t have any more of these things right now!!! Hmmm – I wonder if I have enough almonds to make some more today… 🙂
- 1.5 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- dash teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 5 scoops plant-based vanilla protein powder (I like Vega Performance Protein)
- 3-4 dates
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- dash of vanilla extract
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (optional)
- coconut flakes (optional)
- have some coconut or almond milk on hand
- Prepare an large casserole dish by lining with parchment paper or cooking spray.
- In a food processor, pour in the almonds and the sunflower seeds and the salt. Process until you have almond butter, several minutes. *If it’s too thick and not turning to butter – add in a little vanilla or almond milk.
- Add the dates, oats, protein powder, and maple syrup, vanilla and process until smooth.
- Press mixture into the pan using the back of a spoon or your hand.
- Place chocolate chips in a small glass bowl, and microwave until melted. Drizzle chocolate over the bars, and sprinkle coconut. Allow to set in the fridge for 20 minutes before cutting.
- Store uneaten bars in an airtight container in the fridge.