Complicated name. Simple recipe. INSANE flavor!!!! I found this recipe on the back of the Trader Joe’s red quinoa bag!! Dave, a lover of all things not healthy gave this healthy dish 2 thumbs up AND after I had a serving – he ate the rest!! So, it’s good – trust me.
1 cup of Trader Joe’s red quinoa cooked with broth 2 cups of chicken or veggie broth
1 – 15 oz can of black beans
2 cups roasted corn kernels (you can roast frozen corn in the oven on foil for 10 min at 400 degrees)
1 avocado sliced
1 pint grate tomatoes halved
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup of olive oil
Zest of 1 lime
1/2 onion chopped (optional) – onions hurt my belly so I leave them out! Good for flavor though!
Sea salt and pepper
1. Cook quinoa with broth according to package directions.
2. While quinoa is cooking, combine beans, corn, avocado, tomatoes and onion (optional).
3. Add lime zest and half of the lime’s juice and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add half of the cilantro and toss.
5. When quinoa is cooked, toss with olive oil, add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to cool.
6. When ready to serve, you can choose to serve the black bean mix on top of the quinoa, but I mixed mine in, added a little more cilantro, lime juice and salt and pepper. I actually ran out of lime, so I put in some fresh lemon juice as well, which was superb! This is a bowl of goodness you can’t go wrong with!