Yesterday I had a great track workout. I got up early to do it, so I had some extra time when I came home to make breakfast and prepare for company I have in town! So, I started googling, and came across a recipe for paleo cinnamon buns. I mean, who doesn’t love a good bun?!! I had to make them. THEY ARE SO GOOD.
For a paleo, gluten free, healthier treat – you really can’t ask for more than this little thing. They are super fragile, and a bit hard to roll, but totally worth the fight with the fragile dough. You can also get creative with what you put inside. Check out the original recipe on Paleo Grubs, and then see the little tweaks and additions I made to add more a little more fruit and take a little of the honey out.
I’m sitting here with a cup of coffee and one of these, and the morning really couldn’t be much better!
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 date
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- Honey, for drizzling
- 1/8 cup of medijool dates finely chopped
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- 1/8 cup cranberries
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 date
- 2 tbsp coconut cream
- Pinch of cinnamon
- In a food processor – mix together the coconut oil, egg, date , and vanilla. Add the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix well to combine.
- Transfer the dough onto a sheet of wax paper. Cover with another sheet of wax paper and roll out into a long rectangle. Remove the top sheet of wax paper. Drizzle the dough with honey and sprinkle with cinnamon. Top with the pistachios, chopped dates and cranberries.
- Use the wax paper to roll the dough into a log. Place the log in the freezer to harden for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Slice the log into individual pieces, about 9 or 10 rolls. Place onto a baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze by stirring together the date honey, coconut cream, over cinnamon. Once the rolls are golden, remove from the oven and drizzle with glaze. Serve warm.