Taco Tuesday?! Or…tacos every day!! Yes, please! These are guilt free, tasty, FULL of healthy goodness, vegan, all natural… need I go on? I also find it hilarious that the “meat” on this taco actually LOOKS like taco meat. Yet another added bonus.
I found the original recipe on Oh She Glows, and basically used the same recipe, but different lentils, and I added a few things. Feel free to add onions – I only use green onions, but you can add onions into the peppers/garlic mix too. Also, the cashew cream is in place of sour cream, and is REALLY good. You can use it a lot of other ways as well, so make it! I used Oh She Glow’s exact recipe, and the link is below as well as the recipe.
This is one meatless recipe where you won’t miss the meat!! Delish!
FOR THE LENTIL-WALNUT MEAT (MAKES 2 1/2 CUPS):
- 1 cup pre-cooked lentils from Trader Joe’s
- 1 cup walnut pieces, toasted
- 1-2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup of mushrooms diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, or to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons water
FOR THE TOPPINGS/WRAPS:
- 1-2 bell peppers, thinly sliced (I used one, but next time I will use 2 for ample leftovers)
- Cashew Sour Cream (see below for link)
- Diced tomatoes or salsa
- Green onion & fresh lime juice, for garnish
- lettuce wraps (large romaine, Iceburg, or Butter lettuce leaves)
- Other topping options: Sliced avocado, hot sauce, cilantro, etc.
- Toast the walnuts: Preheat oven to 300F. Add walnuts onto a rimmed baking sheet and toast for 10-13 minutes, watching closely, until lightly golden and fragrant. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and add in 1-2 tbs of oil. Add the garlic in. When it becomes translucent, then add the peppers and mushrooms. Cook the garlic and peppers over medium heat for about 15-20 minutes, reducing heat if necessary and stirring frequently, until cooked through.
- Prepare the taco meat: Add 1 3/4 cups cooked lentils (you’ll have some leftover) and all the toasted walnuts into a food processor and pulse until chopped (make sure to leave texture). Stir or pulse in the oregano, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Stir in the oil and the water until combined.
- Prepare the rest of your vegetable toppings and wash + dry the lettuce wraps.
- Assemble: Add a large lettuce leaf onto a plate, top with taco meat, sauteed peppers + mushrooms, and the rest of your desired toppings.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge in sealed containers to be enjoyed the next couple days. The cashew cream will keep for at least a week in the fridge. Use sour cream leftovers on sandwiches, wraps, stirred into salad dressings, on vegan nachos, or with chili or soup.
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 1/2-3/4 cup water, as needed
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, to taste
- Place cashews in a bowl and cover with water. Soak for a minimum of 2 hours, preferably overnight or for 8 hours if you have the time.
- Drain and rinse the cashews and place in the blender.
- Add water, lemon, vinegar, and salt. Blend on high until smooth. You might have to stop to scrape down the blender now and then or add a touch more water to get it going.
- Once it’s super smooth, it’s ready! Transfer into a small container. The cream will thicken up as it sits.
Read more: http://ohsheglows.com/2014/02/05/my-favourite-vegan-chili-with-homemade-sour-cream/#ixzz3dwdyj8aa
11 thoughts on “Vegan Lentil Walnut Tacos with Cashew Cream”
oh man! I could not LIVE without cashew cream, so amazing. I host a blog party for vegan and vegetarian recipes, and I’d love it if you stopped by and shared a recipe 🙂
Sounds AMAZING – I would LOVE to!!! Such a great idea!!! Just let me know when!
It starts every week on Wednesday and goes all week 😊
Just let me know how I can help and what to do!! Can’t wait!
yummy!! looks so good 🙂
Thank you!! Soooo good! Your blog is beautiful – just started following!
Aww thanks Megan ❤ it means a lot!!
Looks awesome 🙂
Thank you!! If you try it – let me know what you think!
Yum! I’ve made this before too, love it!
Awesome!! So good and so fresh – I just love it!!