Whoa. I couldn’t quit these little things. I even heard – “best balls ever” a time or two. Not kidding.
I found and adapted this recipe from Chowvida. The original recipe called for sugar, but I used dates instead to give it some natural sweetener and added some protein in there too to give some extra goodness. (And also to make you feel a little better about eating one…or ten.)
Super simple, super delicious, and this really comes out as an elegant little snack! They can sometimes turn out a little gooey, so freeze these little guys to harden them up some.
- 2- 3 small avocados
- 7 oz dark chocolate (about 1/2 cup, melted) or Good Life chocolate chips
- 3 dates
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder and extra for topping
- 3/4 scoop of Vega chocolate protein
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the seed, and spoon the flesh into a small mixing bowl. Using a fork (or a potato masher), mash the avocado really well, until smooth and no chunks remain.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave 30 seconds at a time, stirring until melted or melt on the stove in a double boiler.
- Add the dates, 1-2 tbsp of cocoa powder and the melted chocolate to the avocado mixture, use a fork or a mixer to combine very thoroughly.
- Place the mixture in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes, until partially set (some people say they’ve needed up to 1 hour chilling time, which may depend on your chocolate). You can also place in the freezer if you’re impatient like me! Meanwhile, put the remaining 1 tbsp of cocoa powder onto a small plate. Actually, keep the cocoa on hand because you’re going to want more than 1 tbs!
- Remove the mix from the fridge, (resist eating all of it right then and there), and using a spoon, scoop a dollop of the mix into your hand (estimate enough to make about a 1″ ball). Using your hands, place the chocolate on the plate with with the cocoa powder and roll into a ball. Place the balls on a plate, or baking sheet, then repeat the rolling process with the rest of the mixture.
- You can sprinkle more cocoa powder over if you’d like, or just eat them! Store these in an airtight container in the fridge! ENJOY the heck out of them!