DIRECTIONS – Leave your house. Go to the nearest grocery store and get the ingredients to make this. NOW. 🙂 Tomorrow is another possible snow day, and THIS is what you should have on hand!! I made a pot last night, and its been lunch and dinner today, and I’m not complaining!
This chili has it ALL. Protein, meat, veggies, greens…the whole 9. I found the original recipe on one of my favorite blogs Love and Lemons. I made a few adaptations, so check out her original! She added chilies and onions to hers – I added ground turkey for another dose of protein. So good, so hearty, so healthy!! This is a perfect snow day meal!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup green onions
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 14-oz. cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1.5 cups cubed sweet potatoes
- 2 cans of beans – black, red, pinto, or a combo
- 1 cup spinach
- ½ cup corn kernels (frozen is fine)
- a good squeeze of lime
- salt, pepper
- ground turkey – 1 package
- chopped scallions
- pepper jack cheese
- Greek yogurt
- diced avocado w/ a squeeze of lime
- tortilla chips
- lime slices
- Heat oil in a medium-large pot over medium heat. Add the green onion, garlic, a few pinches of salt and cook until translucent (5 minutes or so).
- Add chili powder, and stir. Cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds), then add the vinegar, followed by the tomatoes. Stir, then add the broth and the sweet potato cubes and beans.
- Simmer on low heat until the sweet potatoes are tender (about 20-30 minutes).
- While the sweet potatoes are simmering, brown your turkey meat in coconut oil with salt and pepper.
- Add the spinach, corn and turkey meat
and simmer for 5-10 more minutes.
- Add a good squeeze of lime. Taste and adjust seasonings – adding more salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve topped with toppings of your choice!