I am so behind on posting recipes, so watch out – there will be a plethora coming soon! I was inspired by a salad I saw on Nutrition Stripped – a beautiful natural food blog. I basically went into my fridge and found everything I liked that I needed to use and put it in this salad. Hence, the name. 🙂
I also chose this name because it has everything in it – good fats, good carbs, veggies and protein. To give you the lowdown on the salad – it’s actually a spinach salad with sautéed brussels sprouts, quinoa, chickpeas, almonds and avocado with a poached egg on top. The dressing is an orange/lime vinaigrette. This was a bowl of goodness that I didn’t want to end!! Let a salad like this inspire you to look through your fridge and cupboards and get creative!
- Brussels sprouts
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 egg – poached
- 1/2 juice of one lime
- 1/2 juice of one orange
- 2-4 tbs of olive oil
- 1-2 tbs of apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 tbs of honey
- dash of pepper
1. Prepare your dressing and set aside. Combine everything. I don’t use any real measurements, but go mostly by taste. If you want it more citrusy you can add in zest or more juice, more sweet – add more honey. You get the picture. 🙂
2. Chop brussels sprouts in half. In a pan over medium heat – add olive oil and garlic and start to cook. Add Brussels sprouts to the skillet and cook without stirring until the undersides of the sprouts turn golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir to turn sprouts over, and cook other sides until golden brown, another 5 to 7 minutes. Season with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.
3. While the brussels sauté, cook your quinoa according to the package.
4. Prepare a bowl of spinach, a handful of almonds, a half of an avocado, 1/4-1/3 cup of chickpeas arranged to leave room for the quinoa and brussels.
5. Once the brussels and quinoa are about cooked, prep to poach your egg. Here’s a quick lesson on how to poach an egg – http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/technique/how-poach-egg
6. Add the brussels and quinoa to the salad and top with your egg and the dressing. Enjoy!
3 thoughts on “The Everything Salad”
I WILL BE TRYING THIS. It’s rare, due to my pickiness, that I like EVERYTHING on a salad, but this one is the exception! Thanks Megan!!
It’s rare, due to my pickiness, that I like EVERYTHING on a salad. This one fits the bill – JACKPOT! Definitely making this one. Thanks Megan!!!
YEAHHHHH girl!!! I love it! Let me know what you think!! More yummies coming soon!!