As I mentioned in the last waffle post I did – I am having a serious love affair with my waffle iron. If you don’t have one, you should go get one. Like yesterday. You can make all kinds of stuff in it! So, tonight I had a hankering’ for some sweet potato hash browns, and what goes good with hash browns? Well, eggs of course. Duh. So, tonight – it was breakfast for dinnertime! I made a couple of eggs over easy…. I sprayed the pan with coconut oil spray and threw the eggs in to fry once I got the browns in the iron. I also added a side of avocado (one half) and a few cherry tomatoes.
I got the basic recipe from Crossfit Everett. It didn’t have any measurements really, so I just threw in as much as I wanted. I actually had a lot of leftovers, so I plan on trying sweet potato waffles this weekend!! (Now do you believe me when I say I’m in love with my waffle iron?!)
- Coconut oil
- Spice (cinnamon or nutmeg or dash of cloves)
- Grated Apple
- 1-2 sweet potatoes
For savory hash browns:
- use bacon grease instead of the coconut oil
- grate in a little bit of red or orange pepper or onion
- add a few bacon crumbles
- Heat the waffle iron to its medium setting..
- While it’s heating, you can peel and grate the potatoes, or I threw mine in my food processor skins and all and gave it a couple of chops.
- Squeeze the grated potatoes in cloth or paper towels to extract as much moisture as possible.
- Throw them in a bowl, and add cinnamon and grated apples. I also added a bit of pepper to mine.
- When the iron is hot (ready light comes on), fill the bottom half with 1-2 teaspoons of coconut oil and brush it over the top and bottom irons. I actually have coconut oil cooking spray from Trader Joe’s that will change your life. Go get it.
- Squeeze the potatoes again to release any excess moisture.
- Place about 1 cup of potato in the iron, spread it out, and close it. Cook until the hash browns are golden brown and crisp, about eight to ten minutes.
- Repeat with the remaining mixture.
12 thoughts on “Waffle Iron Sweet Potato Hash Browns”
Sounds so good!
Thanks girl!!! It was pretty dang good!!!
Hahahaa! They are very interesting. 🙂
Thanks Steven! So glad you like it!! Thanks for checking out my blog! 🙂
Anytime! Now I just have to buy a waffle Iron!
Go buy one!! NOW!! There’s so much you can do with it. I’ll be posting more soon… You can make hash browns, egg scrambles, waffles… so fun!! 🙂
Lol, I have to wait until I get back home in 4 months. I’m on the road traveling until then. I’m not sure airport security would like me carrying a waffle iron through there.
These look awesome!
Happy New Year Megan! Have you seen the BuzzFeed video me and my husband did called “Can You Waffle it?” May provide inspiration…or just a laugh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOGBH3A8Bhc
Oh girl!! I’m totally going to check it out! Thanks for sharing girl! Love you and all you do!!!!!!