The other day I wanted a burger and fries. Instead of calling my order in to Burger Up, I decided to go for it on my own! First a little background…
I am currently training for the Las Vegas Marathon in November and my long runs are already up to 14 miles on the weekend. I have noticed while training for marathons – I usually gain weight, and this time – I’m saying NO. NO I WILL NOT GAIN WEIGHT! So, I called up the awesome Jamie Free to write a nutrition program that fit my tastes and needs. (Especially my addiction to Quest bars). Jamie is a personal trainer, CrossFit instructor, nutrition coach, inspirer extraordinare and owner of Max Muscle in Cool Springs. Check out his website for his services or a good dose of inspiration – Jamie Free.
On my plan is BISON, which I’m a fan of. It’s lean and tasty and a great protein. Naturally I had to buy some for the week, so as soon as I got home I had to test it out. I started my plan today (Monday), but I didn’t want to splurge too much the night before I started my new plan, so I curbed my cravings with a paleo friendly and gluten free meal that is as good as many burger joints! And after I finished my little meal, I felt satisfied but not bad about what I ate!! Try it out my friends, it’s a great meal! It’s also a lot of fun taking some of your favorite meals and finding healthy alternatives! Go for it!
PALEO GF BUN – inspired by PaleOMG
- 1 cup cashew or almond meal
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 4 egg whites
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together almond flour and coconut flour, baking soda and powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until frothy. Pour frothy egg whites into the almond flour mixture bowl and mix well. Then add the 2 whole eggs and bacon fat and whisk together. Place batter in fridge for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Use an ice cream scoop to scoop out the some batter and pour onto the baking sheet. The batter will spread out just a little bit, but should still set up. Make them big and thick enough to hold the burger you’re about to mold!
- Bake for 15-18 minutes. If you poke the biscuits, you’ll be able to tell that they are done. Let cool.
- 1 small to medium sweet potato
- 1 tsp of coconut oil
- 2 tbs of coconut milk
- Chipotle Chili Powder
- Coconut garnish
- Place the sweet potato in the microwave for 2-3 minutes on each side or until done.
- Once the potato is cooked through take it out and place it in a bowl. Mash it slightly with a potato masher while adding in the milk and oil.
- Mix in a dash of the chili powered, cumin and pepper for a little bite.
- Top with a bit of shaved coconut.