A couple of weeks ago I received an email and was commissioned to make some vegan rice krispy treats for a beautiful preggers friend, co-writer and wonderful person – Jennifer Denmark. (Look at what a cute preggo she is!!). She has been craving these little guys in a BIG way, but wanted a healthy version, and she sure found them. I have to say – I made a little extra for myself and my co-writer last night. We might have eaten the entire pan. I might have also put some chocolate chips in some of them…oops…sorry I’m not sorry. 🙂
Jen calls me “Crock” aka Megan “Betty” Crocker. Crock for short. She knows I love to cook and bake, and she came to the right place!! It’s so funny – people tell me all the time – I like it when you make it for me – it tastes different. So, I’m just going to believe that it’s the amount of love I put into what I make. Cheesy, but true. 🙂
Jen found this recipe off of Detoxinista, and I didn’t change a thing besides adding a little bit of Trader Joe’s chocolate chunks to some of them. (A very good idea in my opinion!) The coconut flavor from the coconut oil is truly amazing. You could even play around and put some coconut in them, nuts, chocolate like me, or whatever your heart desires. You really can’t go wrong. These are no bake, simple, better for you than real krispy treats, and beyond delicious! (Also GREAT for kids and obviously moms-to-be!! 🙂
- ⅔ cup brown rice syrup – I had to go to Whole Foods to find this ingredient
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cups brown rice crisp cereal (Erewhon brand is what I used from Whole Foods)
- Combine the coconut oil and brown rice syrup in a saucepan over medium heat, and bring the mixture to a rolling boil. Boil for one minute, then remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract and salt. Pour the cereal into a large mixing bowl and stir in the boiled syrup mixture until the cereal is well-coated. If you want to add some additions in, do it at the last minute before you put them in the pan.
- Line a 9-inch baking sheet with parchment paper to prevent sticking, then spread the coated cereal in the pan. Use an additional piece of parchment paper over the top of the cereal, to keep your hands from getting sticky, then press HARD to pack the cereal tightly into the bottom of the pan. The harder you press, the better.
- Place the bars into the freezer to cool for 45 minutes, then remove the pan and bring the bars to room temperature. Slice and serve!
- Store any leftover bars in a sealed container in the fridge for best shelf life.