OMG. That’s all I have to say about this recipe. One of the gals I train shared this with me – Miss Danielle Bertiger. Golf claps please. 🙂 This is a low-carb recipe packed with goodness, and you simply can’t go wrong with this bowl of “pasta.”
First of all, you’ll need a spaghetti squash and you’ll have to learn how to prepare it. Knowing how to do this is something that you’ll use over and over again. You can prepare this like regular spaghetti or try new sauces like this one below. Here’s a simple site to check out – How to Prepare a Spaghetti Squash.
For the sauce, I used soy nuts instead of pine nuts, added some water to make the sauce a bit thinner, more lemon juice (fresh squeezed) and salt and pepper actually in the sauce. I garnished with the tomatoes, more basil leaves and squeezed a slice of lemon to finish. To make the avocado pesto sauce…
- 1 bunch fresh basil, reserve some leaves for garnish
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 2 avocados, pitted and peeled
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ cup olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes or sliced sun-dried tomatoes (optional)
1. Prepare the spaghetti squash.
2. Meanwhile, make the pesto by combining basil, pine nuts, avocados, lemon juice, garlic, and oil in a food processor. Process until smooth. Season generously with salt and pepper.
3. Toss pasta with pesto. For an extra touch of color and flavor, top pasta with cherry or sun-dried tomatoes. Divide pasta among serving bowls and garnish each serving with a basil leaf.