Okay, so I posted a banana oat recipe before, but I made this one that I found on Ambitious Kitchen and LOVE it because it’s naturally sweet and whole wheat! There’s no sugar or oil or butter in this and it’s AMAZING. I also threw in chocolate chips, but I made them both with and without – both versions are SO GOOD. I’ve given them to all of my clients this week, and I’ve heard rave reviews. (Now if I’d only had a nanner to make this picture complete, but I used them all!!) Also – if you have bananas that are going bad – those are perfect for banana bread and baking recipes!! You want them soft and mushy for baking. Ready, set – BAKE!!!!! Ingredients
- Cooking spray
- 1 heaping cup mashed banana
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or skim, coconut, etc.)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9-inch loaf pan with nonstick organic cooking spray.
- In large bowl combine mashed banana, applesauce, honey, egg, almond milk and vanilla until well combined and creamy. In separate medium bowl whisk together whole wheat flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined (don’t overmix!).
- Pour into prepared loaf pan, sprinkle oats over top (if desired), and bake for 60-70 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean with a few crumbs attached.
- Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool completely. Cut into 12 slices and enjoy! Keep bread tightly wrapped to maintain moisture.