I wanted to try an almost paleo pumpkin pie for the holidays, and it turned out really well! I added in a white chocolate and coconut oil swirl to this one just to try it out, and it was great, but honestly – it doesn’t need it!!! If you just do the pie it’s COMPLETELY PALEO!!! I used a store bought crust which isn’t paleo, but you could always make a paleo crust! I just wanted to try out the recipe to make sure it was good enough to post!!
I didn’t let mine cook through enough, so make sure that you do! I tend to undertake things because I like my cookies soft and chewy, but a pie – you’ve got to bake that puppy through!
I adapted this recipe from Skinny Taste , and YUM! I bet your guests won’t even know it’s a healthier version of pumpkin pie!! Try it!! I hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving!!!!
- 15 oz canned pumpkin
- 2 tbsp whipped butter, softened
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (or almond milk)
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 frozen pie crust sheet, Pillsbury (thawed to room temperature)*
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place pumpkin puree in a large bowl. Add butter, and mix well.
- Using an electric mixer, mix in sugar, milk, eggs, egg whites, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth.
- Pour filling into unbaked pie crust. Bake about 70 to 75 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cut into 10 slices and serve with whipped coconut cream or whipped cream if desired.
To add in the white chocolate swirl… melt 1/2-3/4 cup of white chocolate and 2 tbs of coconut oil over low heat – constantly stirring so that it doesn’t burn. Before baking – add in a little more than half of the white chocolate into the pie mixture. Pour all of the pie mixture into the pie crust then drizzle the rest of the white chocolate on top and swirl in!