I’ve tried giving up sweets. I can’t. I just can’t. Look, let’s be honest – I don’t do drugs, I don’t really drink – my vices are Lululemon and chocolate. It could be worse. So, instead of just going to Sprinkles every time I get a craving, I’ve learned how to turn decadent desserts into something not as bad for you, but still yummy. Tonight was one of those nights where I just needed some chocolate. I have a good number of avocados that need to used before I leave next week, so I thought – why not? I’ve proven before time and time again that avocado and chocolate were pretty much meant to be together, so why not again?! I adapted my recipe from the Fit Mitten Kitchen’s recipe!
DISCLOSURE – these are NOT the chocolate chocolate chip avocado cupcakes I make… so don’t get too excited… those are a secret, and will remain to be for awhile. (I’ve got to hold on to some things!) These guys are a little treat that aren’t too sweet, but they will take care of a chocolate craving for sure. Plus, they are made with protein powder!!!
I didn’t have any milk so I just used some coconut creamer. Use what you have, peeps. You can usually make it work with what you have!
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup chocolate protein powder (I use Jay Robb chocolate protein)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 medium avocado, mashed (1/2 – ⅔ cup)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or dry sweetened of choice)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Trader Joe’s coconut creamer (or 1/2 cup of no-dairy milk instead of the water and coconut cream)
- 1/4 cup water
- ⅓ cup dairy-free mini chocolate chips
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a muffin tin with liners.
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor except for the chocolate chips. Process until smooth!
- Add in your chocolate chips. Pour equal amounts into the muffin tin!
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.