I decided to get creative tonight in honor of it being Tres de Mayo. Cinco de Mayo is right around the corner, so why not? I dropped by Kroger this evening (TJ’s just gets too crazy town on Sundays), and started thinking about the tacos I had made before – they were SO good with roasted sweet potatoes and black beans… what could I do this time?
I recently discovered these ah-mazing tricolor carrots at Trader Joe’s that are pretty much the bomb.com. I’ve made them into potato-esque type dishes like chips and fries, and they are SO SO SO good. I’m not sure why we are eating french fries when we could be eating baked carrots…. The world needs to change. Basically, I should become president and then change french fries to carrots. The world would thank me.
So, I went through the aisles and basically just grabbed a bunch of stuff that I thought would make an interesting homage to a Cinco de Mayo veggie style taco, and here it goes…
- 3 tricolor carrots or just regular large carrots
- Red cabbage
- Ear of corn
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Greek yogurt
- Pepper jack cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Prep your carrots by cleaning them and cutting them in half. Place them on a baking sheet and douse in oil and salt and pepper.
- Prep your ear of corn by shucking it without pulling the whole skin off – just leave it on! Put some olive oil and salt and pepper on it and put the skin back over the corn.
- Put your carrots in the oven and place the ear of corn directly on the rack – not on the baking sheet.
- While your veggies are roasting, cut your cabbage and avocado.
- When your veggies are finished in about 30 minutes, take them out and assemble your tacos. I placed the carrots on the bottom, then the corn, cabbage, pepper jack cheese, a dollop of Greek yogurt, cilantro, more pepper, and a slice of lime! Super fresh and easy!!