Okay, okay, okay… you hear cauliflower pizza and your first reaction is probably ICK, GROSS, YUCK, EWWWWW… Well, let me tell you my friends, this is anything but any and all of those!! I was skeptical myself when I decided to make it, and I found myself conveniently going back into the kitchen and taking one more bite…then, maybe just one more…
I found the original recipe on Popsugar, and I definitely adapted it a bit. This does have a good amount of cheese in it. I don’t eat a lot of cheese, so I just went for it. I do want to try the cauliflower crust that doesn’t use cheese and see the difference. But – pizza with no cheese?! I mean… That’s almost wrong, but if you’re lactose intolerant, I can excuse it. 🙂
I was amazingly surprised at how wonderful this turned out! I mean, who says pizza can’t be healthy and AWESOME?! What is great about this is that you can put anything on top! Get creative, and have fun with a healthy pizza night!
- Nonstick spray
- 2 1/2 cups cauliflower, grated (about 1/2 a large head)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 – 1 cup tomato sauce (depending on how saucy you like it) – I used a mixture of organic Vodka sauce from Trader Joe’s and tomato paste
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Fresh basil leaves, optional
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, and preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Place the cauliflower in a food processor and lightly grate until it turns to crumbles. If you don’t have a processor – grate the cauliflower using a box grater until you have two cups of cauliflower crumbles. Place in a large bowl and microwave for seven to eight minutes, or until soft. Remove from the microwave and let cool.
- Mix in the egg, one cup mozzarella, parmesan cheese, honey, and salt and pepper. Once combined, pat into a 10-inch round on the prepared pizza pan. Spray lightly with nonstick spray and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden.
- Top the pizza with the sauce, 1/4 cup mozzarella, grape tomatoes, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Bake in the oven until melted and bubbly, another 10 minutes. Top with basil before serving.