I went on a 7 mile run today with one of my favorite people. We talk about everything on our runs – men, relationships, work, food, saving the world… you know, all of the normal stuff. Today we started talking about food and we landed on Burger Up’s kale salad. Now, it’s been said that Tavern has the best kale salad in Nashville, but Conner’s Kitchen may have just outdone good ol’ Tavern. 🙂 I looked up the ingredients off of Burger Up’s menu and basically made up the dressing. So, the measurements are definitely NOT exact. I didn’t measure anything….oops! But the salad turned out perfectly. This is definitely one to make!
- 1 bag of Tuscan Kale (I used Trader Joe’s)
- Hazelnuts (toasted)
- Pine nuts (toasted)
- 1/2 bag of dried cherries (Trader Joe’s brand)
- Parmesan cheese 1/4 cup or more or less to taste
- Choice of protein – I used Trader Joe’s salmon and baked it with lemon juice, salt, pepper and olive oil
- *Blender or food processor to finely grate the kale
- 1/4 Cup Olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange
- 1 tsp honey
- Make sure your protein is cooked and prepared. I had already prepared the salmon the day before so it was ready to go. I also think chicken would be beautiful in this dish!
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees and place your hazelnuts and pine nuts on a cookie sheet in the oven. Roast 5-10 minutes or until slightly brown and toasted. You might want to separate them – the pine nuts are smaller and could roast faster. I don’t have a set amount I like to do – if I have leftovers I love to keep them to snack on or use in other salads.
- While the nuts are roasting – put the entire bag of kale in the food processor and process until fine. Pour into your serving dish. Mix in the dried cherries and parmesan cheese.
- Make your dressing. Pour 1/4 cup of olive oil into a bowl (separate from the salad). Add in the juice of 1 lemon and about 2/3 of the juice of the orange. Chop 1-2 garlic cloves and mix in. Mix in the honey and pepper to taste.
- When the nuts are done, garnish with the nuts and then place your protein on top if you choose. Pour on the desired amount of yummy dressing and ENJOY!!! Now, tell me that’s not at least AS GOOD as Tavern’s or Burger Up’s kale salad! 🙂
**I keep my dressing separate from the salad and used a little at a time in case I had leftovers. You don’t want to put all of the dressing on the salad – the next day the salad will usually become mushy, so keep them apart!