This dish is….well, I don’t have words. This unexpectedly blew my mind! I found this recipe and then tweaked it a bit to what I had available and what I could find at the store, and this is what I came up with! I served it hot the first night I had it then saved the left overs and ate it cold the next day – both ways are DELISH!!! I also added chicken to it. Let me know how you like this one!
- 2 cups brussels sprouts, sliced in half
- 1 cup sliced broccolini
- a bit of coconut oil, for the pan
- salt, pepper
- 2 avocados diced
- handful almonds
- sprinkle of sunflower seeds
- mixed lettuce
- extra lime slices, for serving
- cherry tomatoes (if you want them!)
- chicken to top it
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 of an orange squeezed
- 1 whole lime juice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- drizzle of honey
- Whisk together dressing ingredients and set aside. Take liberties with the dressing – add or subtract anything – I kind of throw it all in until it tastes good.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add a few teaspoons of oil. When it starts to sizzle add the brussels sprouts, cut side down (or as many as you can get cut side down quickly), with a few pinches of salt. Don’t touch them for a few minutes until the cut-side starts to turn golden brown (turn one over to check). Once they have a good sear, flip them over, add the broccolini and continue cooking until tender, but not mushy. At the very end, toss in the already cooked chicken and cherry tomatoes.
- Transfer the vegetables and chicken to a plate, and let them cool slightly, then toss with a bit of the dressing. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Toss the brussels sprouts & broccolini with the sliced avocado, almonds, lettuce, sunflower seeds. Taste & toss with more dressing. Serve warm, and with extra lime slices.